Fall Planting - Skip the Invasives and Plant Natives!
Wed, 09/21/2022 - 4:34pm admin
The Missouri Invasive Plant Council (MoIP), alongside the Grow Native! native plant marketing and education program, is highlighting fall as an ideal time of year to plant native trees. From September 15th through October 15th, MoIP will be promoting information about the types of trees that are native to Missouri, as well as planting tips and tricks to help give your new tree a great start at a new life.
Fall is a great time to plant trees, shrubs, grasses, and wildflowers, so it’s also the best time to be thinking
about incorporating native plants into your garden and landscape. MoIP is asking Missourians to skip
the invasive plants and choose native plants instead!
Gardeners and shoppers looking for native trees and shrubs can search the Grow Native! plant database. Sort through more than 330 native plants, including trees and shrubs, in the Grow Native! searchable online native plant database. Grow Native! provides not only recommendations of specific trees and shrubs that are native to Missouri, but also a searchable online database of nurseries, landscapers, and other native plant resources.
MoIP offers a wealth of resources to facilitate the fall planting of native trees. This link provides native tree lists, tree planting and pruning guides, and more. This is where you will find the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about controlling invasive plants and planting native trees.
- I’m ready to stop planting invasives, but how do I know what is invasive?
- I’m ready to plant native trees and shrubs, but how do I know what to buy?
- I know what native tree I want to buy, but where can I buy it?
- I am ready to plant my native tree, but how should I plant it?
Ready to buy native trees and shrubs? MoIP has teamed up with Grow Native! Professional members who are selling native trees and shrubs this fall or offer landscaping services. Grow Native! Professional
Members with fall promotions of native trees and other native plants include the following:
- Sow Wild Natives http://sowwildnatives.com/products
- Sugar Creek Gardens https://sugarcreekgardens.com/
- Ozark Soul Native Plants https://www.ozarksoul.com/
- Richard Clayton Barrett Landscape Architect https://www.richardclaytonbarrett.com/
- Quiet Village Landscaping https://www.quietvillagelandscaping.com/project-gallery
- Pollinator Patches, LLC https://www.allthepollinators.com/
- Papillon Perennial https://www.papillonperennials.com/